How To Clean A Leather Motorcycle Vest: Dos And Don’t For Proper Care
Cleaning and maintaining leather garments can be costly, especially if you’re not keen on regularly cleaning off dust and stains. Don’t wait for grime to build-up on your favorite leather jacket and vest.
Save a good amount of money by following do’s and don’ts of how to clean a leather motorcycle vest. What more, we will give you a thorough guide on how to clean your vest’s interior and exterior.
Leather jackets and vests are so versatile. Whether you are a motorcycle rider or not, you may tend to wear one ever so often. And while they make you cool on any day, they get exposed to harsh elements that may speed up wear and tear.
Over time, you may notice dust and grime building up in your jacket and vest’s linings. Here are some motorcycle jacket cleaning hacks you can follow regularly.
- Regularly remove dust with a soft cloth, microfiber cloth, or a fine brush.
- Immediately dry off your jacket when it gets wet.
- To wipe off fresh stains: Dip a soft cloth in a mixture of warm water and dish soap. Wring the cloth. Wipe off stains. You can also use unscented baby wipes for regular cleaning.
- When removing stains, test any cleaning solution or method on a hidden spot in your jacket.
- Use moisturizing soap and a damp cloth or leather polish to shine your leather jacket and vest.
- Dry leather naturally, not with artificial heat.
- Do not use bleach to clean your leather goods.
- Do not machine wash your leather jacket and vest.
- Do not dry leather with a hair dryer or next to a radiator.
- Do not iron leather.
- Do not tumble dry your leather jacket or vest.
- Do not dry on direct sunlight.
- Do not directly apply cleaning solutions, polishes, or conditioner on the leather. Always use a soft rag or cloth.
Leather Vest Cleaning Guide
We will now give you a thorough guide on how to clean a leather motorcycle vest’s interior and exterior.
Jacket and vest interiors may be loaded with sweat, especially when you frequently ride your motorcycle. Good thing, most leather race suits have removable interiors. With this, how to clean leather jacket lining is easier.
Make sure your removable interior is machine washable. If it is, pull it out, load it on the washing machine, and dry naturally.
If you do not have a removable interior, simply air out your vest to get rid of unpleasant odors. You can also spray a fabric freshener and apply a de-salter. Turn your vest or jacket inside out and spray thoroughly.
Follow these steps on how to clean a leather motorcycle vest’s exterior:
- Find a quality leather cleaner that is suitable for the material of your gear.
- Put a small amount of cleaner onto a soft rag or a microfiber cloth.
- Apply the cleaner on the leather surface.
- Let your vest or jacket dry naturally.
Your leather jacket or vest can elevate your cool and badass vibe—while keeping you safe while you ride. Give them their well-deserved TLC by following the tips and tricks on how to clean a leather motorcycle vest and other garments.