How To Sew Patches On A Leather Motorcycle Jacket
Leather jackets are fashionably versatile and functional. Riders wear them for protection from dust, wind, and rain.
But even though you’re not a motorcycle rider, a leather jacket can be your go-to outerwear for your daily outfits. Leather jackets make great statement pieces—however simple their designs are.
But if you want to add a touch of your style or simply have to hide away a stain, sewing patches to your jacket is a great way to do so. Scroll on to learn how to sew patches on leather motorcycle jacket.
Things You Need
Riders sew patches on their leather jackets to show-off their club logos, personal emblems, or the advocacies they support. However, anybody who owns one can do the same based on their preference. People also sew in patches to cover some stains or blemishes.
For this project, you will need:
- a patch of your choice
- tailor’s chalk
- adhesive spray
- nylon thread
- sewing pick
Prepare these materials and your leather jacket. You are now ready to learn the steps on how to sew patches on leather motorcycle jacket.
Basically, sewing a patch on a leather jacket follows the same process as how to sew a patch on a leather vest pocket.
- Identify which part of the jacket you want to cover with a patch.
- Trace the patch on the said area with a tailor’s chalk.
- Use a sewing pick to open the seam in the jacket lining at the bottom back part. The opening should be just enough to fit your hand inside.
- Spray adhesive at the back of the patch.
- Use your outer hand and your hand inside the jacket lining to press the patch to your desired area. This should hold the patch secure for sewing.
- Thread the needle with nylon thread and make a knot at the end.
- Push the needle through the leather using the thimble. Start from inside the jacket so that the knot will be inside the jacket, hidden from plain sight.
- Stitch around the edges. Secure the patch by stitching close to the sides. The stitches should also be close to each other for a tidy look.
Needles will leave tiny holes on your leather jacket, so you must sew the patch exactly where you want it to be.
If you think you are not capable of sewing on your prized leather jacket, you can search where to get patches sewn on leather vest near your area and have a professional tailor do the job for you.
Your leather jacket will surely stand out from the rest with vibrant embroidery. However, make sure you do the process of how to sew patches on leather motorcycle jacket correctly. If not, you might cause damage to your favorite outerwear. Keep your trusty jacket safe while showcasing your style.