How To Shrink Your Motorcycle Leather Jacket: Top Hacks
Leather jackets never go out of style. You can use one to dress up or dress down. It is versatile as it is stylish.
Indeed, you can wear them with anything. However, the key to a fashionable get-up is a good fit.
If your leather jacket feels a bit loose and out-of-sync from your body, you might want to consider shrinking it. How to shrink motorcycle leathers, you ask? Look no further as we will give you ingenious ways to do it easily.
A leather jacket will help you achieve different looks so long as it has a good fit on you. Shrinking down your jacket is an inexpensive way to have it sit snugly to your body—no need to ditch your favorite outerwear for a new one.
Shrink Your Jacket With Warm Water And Alcohol
For this method, you will need a plastic container large enough to submerge your jacket, rubbing alcohol, warm water, and two towels. Alcohol strips any protective layer on the jacket. It will allow more water absorption leading to shrinkage.
Follow these steps on how to shrink a leather jacket with warm water and alcohol:
- Put the container in a bathtub or any area where you can easily clean spilled dye.
- Fill the container with 1-part warm water and 1-part alcohol. Make sure you have enough water to submerge your jacket.
- Submerge your jacket in the warm water.
- Soak it for 10 minutes.
- Wear gloves and start rubbing gently to let the jacket bleed more dye.
Note: When the jacket bleeds more dye, it gives more room for the jacket to absorb water. Water absorption shrinks the garment.
- After soaking, remove the jacket from the container.
- Rinse it with cool water.
- Wring out excess water.
- Hang the jacket to dry. Make sure you place it in an area away from direct sunlight.
- Let it dry for 24 hours.
- When dry, apply a leather conditioner with a soft cloth.
- Let it sit for another 24 hours. After, apply a final coating.
The initial shrinking process may not significantly shrink your jacket, especially if you desire to achieve a much smaller size. You may want to repeat the process.
Shrink Your Jacket With A Washing Machine
Here’s another way to make a leather jacket smaller. This method is very convenient as you will only need a washing machine, warm water, and a dryer to do it.
- Fill the washing machine with warm water.
- Submerge the jacket.
- Soak the leather jacket in the washing machine for 10 minutes.
- Set the washing machine in gentle wash mode. You will see the dye coming out during wash time.
- After, put the wet jacket in the dryer.
- Turn the dryer in medium heat to shrink the jacket.
- Once dry, fit the jacket if you have achieved the size that you want.
- Repeat the process if you need to shrink it even more.
If you are concerned about your jacket losing its color or dye, you can go to a tailor to have your garment fixed professionally. If you prefer DIY, you can keep your favorite outerwear fit and stylish by following our advice on how to shrink motorcycle leathers.