How To Soften Leather Motorcycle Gloves
When we buy new stuff, they tend to be too stiff or too tight for use. Hence, we use the term ‘break-in’ to make new items comfortable for wearing.
Motorcycle leather gloves are no exception. What will a new pair do if it’s not flexible enough for your ride? It will do you more harm than good. But worry no more. In this article, we will share a detailed guide on how to soften leather motorcycle gloves.
Things You Need
You can stretch your new leather goods to perfection by using it for a few or more bike rides. However, here’s a tried and tested method of how to soften leather gloves quickly. Before we go on to the steps, here is a list of the things that you will need:
- A pot of hot or boiling water
- Rubbing alcohol
- Leather Conditioner
Let’s get started right away! Follow these steps on how to soften leather motorcycle gloves. You can also apply this method to other leather garments. However, this procedure may not be appropriate for leather gloves and goods with wool lining and other delicate fabrics.
- Soak your gloves in boiling water for 10 minutes.
- Keep the gloves in the pot until the water cools down to lukewarm temperature.
- When the temperature is safe, put on the gloves right away. Open and close your hand into a fist until the gloves stretch and fit.
- Wear the gloves for 30 to 60 minutes.
- After, hang them dry.
- Check gloves from time to time. When they already feel damp, put them on again.
- You may wave your hands in front of an electric fan to dry it up quickly.
- Once your gloves are dry, do keep them on.
- Pour rubbing alcohol onto a towel.
- Apply the alcohol on the leather surface using your towels. Make sure you cover the leather with a generous amount of alcohol.
- Your gloves will quickly dry because alcohol evaporates easily.
- When your gloves are dry, apply the leather conditioner. It’s easier to use conditioner while wearing your gloves.
- Apply the conditioner with circular motions to cover the leather surface thoroughly.
- When applying the conditioner, continue to make grasping motions to help the glove stretch and fit your hand well.
Remember, do not use a blow dryer and the likes to speed up the drying process. Hot air is terrible for your leather. The best way on how to soften leather gloves after getting wet is to wear them immediately for an hour then hang them dry.
Let your gloves dry naturally at room temperature. Also, make sure that you keep it away from direct sunlight.
Keep using your new leather goods until you get a good fit. Or, try this method of how to soften leather motorcycle gloves. Also, make sure you observe proper care to maintain your gloves’ best shape.