How To Waterproof Your Motorcycle Leather Jacket
Leather jackets are waterproof. However, if you do not maintain them regularly, it will break and tear. These cracks will leave you soaking wet when bike riding through the rain.
You have to protect your jacket the same way that it protects you. As you read on, you will learn how to waterproof motorcycle leathers to make it last a long time—even forev
Your leather jacket can endure several years of use. But, like any item you’ve invested in, it needs proper care to last. You can start learning how to make leather jacket waterproof by knowing how to clean it properly.
Cleaning Leather Jackets
When you regularly clean your leather jacket, you are several steps ahead in ensuring that it will remain waterproof. Here are some tips to keep your leathers clean:
- Wipe off any stain or blemish the first time you notice one. Use unscented baby wipes or damp cloth to rub off dirt gently.
- Even when you don’t notice any stain, do moisturize your leather jacket with baby wipes or damp cloth regularly. You can do it after a long ride, when it looks dusty, or even when you just feel like it.
- If there are stubborn dirt and grime, it’s time to use commercial leather cleaners to do the job. Make sure you read and follow instructions on the product label to ensure effective stain removal.
- Some commercial leather cleaners are suited for some types of leather. Make sure you check the compatibility before you buy one.
- You may want to conduct a spot test to see if the chemical is too strong for your jacket’s leather.
- If stains remain even after using commercial cleaning agents, it’s time to avail of professional cleaning services.
Your leather jacket deserves a professional clean at least once a year.
Conditioning Your Jacket
How to waterproof leather jacket involves conditioning it by observing the following:
- Don’t let your jacket go dry. Dry leather jackets crack easily. Use a leather conditioner to keep it moisturized.
- To keep your jacket smooth and shiny, use a leather polish. Be careful, however, in using this product as it can discolor your leather. Read instructions on the product label on how to test it before use.
- Hang your jackets properly. This way, you will avoid creases forming on your jacket. Creased leathers crack easily.
- When your jacket is wet, hang it dry in room temperature. Keep it away from direct sunlight.
- Make sure pockets are empty, and all zips are fastened when you hang your jackets.
Weatherproofing Leather Jackets
As mentioned, poorly-maintained leathers will split and crack. When this happens, they could not protect you from rain. It will not also protect you during road mishaps as it will easily tear.
Cleaning and conditioning your leathers are significant processes that keep them waterproof. A vital addition to these processes is sealing your jackets.
For this, you should use a waterproof sealant spray. This sealant will protect your jacket from damage caused by elements, especially water. It also protects your jacket from water stains.
This product is available in leather garment stores.
A leather jacket is more than a fashionable garment. Its durable material offers you protection when you go riding on your bike. Take your time to clean, condition, and weatherproof your leathers. Hopefully, you’ll follow the tips we provided on how to waterproof motorcycle leathers.
The easiest way to know how to maintain your leather jacket, however, is to read the manufacturer’s instructions.