Why Do Motorcycle Riders Wear Leather Vests
Have you ever wondered why bikers look a certain way? No, it isn't a stereotype. Although it makes it easier for us to identify them, there's a reason why they dress in a certain way. So why do motorcycle riders wear leather vests? Is there an existing motorcycle vest protocol?
We'll answer these questions and more below.
The Relation Between Leather and Motorcycle Riders
Leather is inevitably linked to a motorcycle rider. It's the rider's get up, and yet we know so little of it.
Why do motorcycle riders wear leather vests?
The quickest answer is safety and protection. Leather vests help protect the rider's vital organs. Leather also provides better protection than regular clothes. Unlike a jacket, a vest may seem incomplete, but they still provide protection for the back and the torso.
FUN FACT: Bikers call their leather vests, "cuts" because these used to be full jackets cut into vests. These vests are usually worn over full jackets to display badges.
Other Reasons Motorcyclists Wear Leather
Over the years, leather manufacturers have added other functionalities to leather riding. Here are a few things to know about why do motorcycle riders wear leather vests:
- Studies report that donning less protection while riding a motorcycle increases the chance of severe motorcycle injuries.
- The use of leather throughout history is a proven fact. Native Americans discovered the protective capabilities of leather and wore it as protection from bruises and cuts.
- Leather protects your skin in case of an accident. It may not protect you 100%, but the few moments of impact and sliding will be covered by your leather garb.
- Leather is also a form of protection from the elements. High-quality leather, when made the right way, can have water-resistant properties.
- Leather is designed to be worn at any time of the year. Some leather provide ventilation for warmer months, and some leather provide warmth for colder seasons.
- Leather jackets are also used to display meaningful patches for riders. Some clubs and private establishments teach you how to wear a motorcycle vest using proper protocol.
- Leather jackets have a lot of pockets. Some of these pockets have weatherproof zippers where you can store registration, a wallet, cell phone, and many others.
NOTE: Fake leather cannot provide you protection.
Alternatives to Leather and Other Protective Gear
If you have ethical issues about wearing leather, another alternative to consider is ballistic nylon, which provides the same protection as genuine leather with added ventilation.
Other Protective Gear:
- Helmet – A helmet is reported to be 67% effective in preventing brain injury.
- Gloves – These can protect your hands when you instinctively use your hands in an accident.
- Riding Boots – The proper gear to protect feet must cover your ankles. This protects you from your motorcycle's hot pipes and the road's debris.
Now that we've revealed the mystery as to why do motorcycle riders wear leather vests, we can better understand the necessity of leather in riding. If you ever plan on getting one, it won't just be a statement; it will also be your protection.